We believe that our fellowship has a continuous history in the Coventry that dates from 1643 - during the English Civil War. At that time, even though Coventry's two parish churches both had Puritan ministers, some of their members wanted a more biblical style of church - made up of born-again Christian believers, covenanted together. From this, there arose the issue of baptism for believers, and also the question of the way in which ministers were to be chosen and supported. Hence, a new "Baptized Church of Christ" arose. During the persecution of Nonconformists in the 1660s when Charles II regained the throne, our church was not large. For years to come, it met in homes, often under the wing of Baptist churches elsewhere in the Midlands.
Its first "meeting-house" (since demolished) was built in Jordan Well in 1723 (above left). It was John Butterworth, minister 1753-1803, who saw the church grow and move to a larger chapel in Cow Lane (above right), also now demolished, near today's New Union Street.
As Coventry grew, the church - now led by William Henderson - grew too. He had worked as an evangelist after his conversion to Christ, and the church moved its worship services to the present building in Queen's Road in 1884.
As Coventry grew, the church grew too and the church moved its worship services to the present building in Queen's Road in 1884. Buildings were added to the premises in the early 20th Century and then alterations to accommodate Coventry's Ring Road were carried out in the early 1970s. The present cafe area was added in the first decade of the 21st Century.
Through its history the church has been served by many notable ministers and the fellowship aims to be a spiritual home to people from very diverse backgrounds and faith journeys united by their faith in Christ.